Did you notice that my Meyer lemon vinaigrette looked a little green my Brussels sprouts post -- the one picture below? Well, it was. When I made the vinaigrette for the Brussels sprouts I took half of it and added some avocado to make it creamy. Somehow I used the wrong one for the photo. Oh well. This time it didn't come out quite as green but was definitely creamier. It does still have a little bit of a green hue. But who cares about all that? What does it taste like?
I whipped this up again to see how much avocado to use. Plus, I decreased the olive oil a little from the regular vinaigrette.
Results? Eat-it-off-the-spoon good. Seriously.
Oh, and I finally got that zester so I easily added some lemon zest to my vinaigrette. Buying this zester -- best decision I've ever made.
If eating this off the spoon is weird, put it on some salmon (which was really good too). I used a frozen salmon fillet, but you can use fresh (and it would probably taste better). Or just dump this dressing on a salad or even some eggs. And if you want the regular version of the Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette, check out this post.
Pan-fried Salmon with a Creamy Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
Serves 4 (Slightly adjusted July 2013)
What you need:
4 wild-caught salmon fillets
1-2 tbsp fat/oil for frying
1/4 - 1/3 cup Meyer lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp fresh rosemary or other herb (1/4 dried)
1 tsp lemon zest
1 small garlic clove, crushed, optional
salt & pepper, 1/4 - 1/2 tsp or to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
1 tsp mustard or 1/4 tsp ground (optional, omit for AIP)
Water if need to thin dressing
optional: 1 tsp honey
How to make:
Add olive oil, avocado, lemon juice (I use 1/3 cup for a strong lemon taste), zest (I use this zester), mustard, herbs to a blender or food processor. Process until creamy. Adjust flavor as needed. Add water to adjust consistency of the dressing if necessary. Add salt and pepper to taste (I use pinch pepper and 1/4 tsp salt). Put vinaigrette in refrigerator while you cook your fish. Makes about 3/4 cup. (Add 1/2 tsp or more honey to taste if needed.)
Melt oil/fat (I use butter or coconut oil) over medium-high heat. Dry the salmon with a paper towel and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides. Add salmon to hot skillet, skin-side down. Reduce heat to med-low and fry for 4-5 minutes until skin is crispy (and easily pulls away from the pan). I like to press mine down with a spoon or my fingers to ensure the skin cooks evenly. Flip salmon and cook another 1-2 minutes or until preference.
Time will vary depending on thickness of salmon and your preferred doneness (frozen takes about 6-8 on first side and other 3-4 after flipped). Salmon should be pink, feel slightly firm and easily flake with a fork. Spread a spoonful of vinaigrette on a plate, place the salmon on top and drizzle more vinaigrette on top (use as much or as little for your own taste).
- For mixing the vinaigrette, it's easier to use a food processor or blender (than by hand) with the avocado. If you choose not to use one, you must whip it. And whip it good.
- I used fresh rosemary because it's what I had on hand. Dill or thyme would be other good options.
- Don't want to cook 4 salmon? Do as many as you need, even one, and save the vinaigrette for other uses.
- Like I said with the regular Meyer lemon vinaigrette recipe, you can use regular lemon. If taste is too tart, you can add a tsp or so of honey to taste if desired.
- Kale chips
- Salmon cakes with cilantro lime remoulade
- Kale and Butternut Squash Hash
- Brussels Sprout Chips
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Meyer lemon vinaigrette
And you might want to check these out too:
- Paleo Parent's Frozen Waffles and other Naturally Green St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- Against All Grain's Cinnamon ‘Oat’meal Raisin Cookies: St. Patrick’s Day Style
- Raw Rainbow "Ice Cream" Cake with Coconut Whipped Cream for St. Patrick's Day
This post is shared at: Make Your Own Mondays and Allergy Free Wednesdays, Paleo AIP Recipe Roundup
****This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog!****